Updating your Business details in Google Search result
Add a business to Google My Business
This allows you to set up your business for reviews, location and opening hours, etc in Googles search results .Its very easy to set up. Remember to log into your google, gmail, account first, or create one if you don’t have one. If you have a specific google (gmail) account you associate with your business, use that one. The google account you use will be set up as the owner of the business as far as google is concerned. At the end of the process you will be able to invite other people to have access to your account if you wish, but that isnt necessary.
- Use the My Business link and click on Start Now.
- You will be asked to enter the name of your business, Enter the name and click on next.
- Next you will need to enter your location. If you provide goods or services to your local area, then check the I deliver goods and services to my customers box. Google describes this in more detail on their help page , but to summarise, if you want to promote what you do to a specific area, then choose this option. If you are able to work with clients , and location is not an issue, then don’t choose it. Remember to click the hide my address button if you dont want your address on show. Click on next
- If you have specified that you deliver to a specific area, then you can say that area on the next page, either by listing towns or postcodes, or by setting a distance. You can set different towns or citties that you are willing to work in. Click on next
- You now need to specify the category for your business ie what you do, eg plumber, IT support etc. Start typing what you think your business falls under, and you will be offered a selection to choose. Click on next
- The next page requests contact details, phone number and website address. Fill in the details and click on next
- You will be asked if you want to receive communications from Google, this seems to be the usual marketting emails that most large companies offer. Make your choice and click on next
- You will be offered a finish button, if you are happy, then click on it.
- Finally you need to verify your account. This means proving that you own the business and have the right to set this up. You will be offered a choice of verification methods. The only choice I was offered was a postcard!! but you may be offered other methods such as an email or a phone call. Click on continue, and you will be shown the My Business page for your business.
- When the postcard arrives, it will contain a big bold number. Log in to the gmail account you used to create the MyBusiness page, and visit the website given in the postcard, http://www.google.com/verifymybusiness. Google suggests you check http://www.google.com/supportmybusiness if you need any help
You should now have a verified page for your business. Your business page can be accessed by the website https://business.google.com/dashboard.
This will include a way to add opening hours, a description of your business, photos, and other information to promote your business. It is here that you can see reviews,. and insights , in the same way as you can see on social media.
If you don’t want your address visible, go into the location section, and remove the street address.